TN IT185 Troubleshooting starting InTouch 2014 R2 WindowViewer on Windows 2012 R2 Server OS with RDP enabled
When you have InTouch 2014 R2 installed on a Server OS you may receive an error while trying to start the InTouch WindowViewer application from an RDP connection stating “This Modern Application is not published. Either publish the application or run InTouch WindowViewer as an Administrator”.
- Author: Michael Dudley
- Published: 12/15/2015
- Applies to: InTouch 2014 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2
This may be caused by the user rights related to the login used for the connection, specifically to UAC rights on the View.exe program.
One method to resolve the issue is to login on to the server as a user having issues and locate the View.exe program installation folder normally found at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wonderware\InTouch
- Right-click on the view.exe program and select the Troubleshoot compatibility option.
- Select the Troubleshoot program option.
- Check The program requires additional permissions option and click Next.
- Click the Start the program… button to test if the modifications were successful.
- If test was successful, click Yes, save these settings for this program option.
- Logoff server and test from RDP connection.
These compatibility (UAC) modifications should allow the InTouch WindowViewer to start normally.