Disable FIPS settings for use with System Platform
- Author: Joseph Hefner
- Published: 9/17/2020
- Applies to: Windows 10 / Server 2016 and later
- System Plaform 2017 and 2020
Aveva System Platform does not currently support the FIPS group policy setting.
This article walks through disabling the FIPS group policy setting in a Windows environment:
Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) are publicly announced standards developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Possible issues with System Platform when the FIPS group policy is enabled are listed below:
- Unable to create a new galaxy. In this scenario the migration from an older version seemed to be successful but when trying to create a new galaxy off of a cab file it would fail.
- Getting "Impossible" error message when trying to connect to the Historian from a remote Historian Client.
- Unable to successfully deploy to a client machine that has FIPS setting enabled.
To Disable the FIPS setting, follow the instructions below:
1) From the Windows start bar, type secpol.msc to open the local security policy editor:
2) Navigate to Security Options in the left tree and find the System cryptography setting below. If this setting is enabled, proceed to step 3 below to disable.
3) Double click on the System Cryptography setting and choose "Disabled" and then "Apply" as below:
4) Reboot the PC or Server.