Auto login to Windows
How to configure a computer to automatically logon to windows.
Applies to Software
Applies to Version
|XP and Greater|
Applies to System/Module
Computer is only used by one user account. Would like Windows to log in automatically without requiring user intervention.
The following solutions will require administrative access to the computer.
- Click the Start Button and run Regedit to open the Windows Registry Editor.
- Backup your registry by going to File > Export, selecting All, and saving a backup to your hard drive.
- Browse to the following location:
- Double click “DefaultUserName”, and enter the user name which you would like to have logged in.
- Double click the “DefaultPassword”, and enter the password for this account. If this value does not exist, add it as a new String Value.
- Add a new String Value called AutoAdminLogon.
- Set the value of this to 1. (If you ever want to turn off the Auto Login, set this to 0).
- Close the Registry Editor.
- Reboot the computer.