TN IT148 Installing InTouch 2014R2
This article from InSource shows how to install Wonderware InTouch 2014R2 on a new PC using the System Platform 2014R2 installation media.
- Author: Dillon Perera
- Published: 07/24/2015
- Applies to: InTouch 2014 R2
The System Platform 2014R2 installer is used to install InTouch. System Platform contains InTouch, Application Server, Historian, Historian Client, and Informaion Server.
Additional information about the installation process can be found in the installer package, in the Readme and WSP_Install_Guide files.
Watch the Video Below
Get a copy of the System Platform 2014R2 installer
To get the installation software for InTouch you can either download it from Wonderware's support website, or request the software be mailed to you.
For InSource clients, you can request the software and licenses from the following website:
Requirements before installing
- The following versions of Microsoft Windows are compatible with InTouch 2014R2:
- Windows 7 SP1 - Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate - 32 or 64bit
- Windows 8 - Professional, Enterprise - 32 or 64bit
- Windows 8.1- Professional, Enterprise - 32 or 64bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - Standard, Enterprise - 64bit
- Windows Server 2012 - Standard, Data Center - 64bit
- Windows Server 2012 R2 - Standard, Data Center - 64bit
- SQL Server is used by many of the Wonderware products. If you will be using Microsoft SQL heavily you may want to install a copy of Microsoft SQL Standard or Enterprise. If SQL is not preinstalled, the InTouch Installation will install SQL Express automatically.
See the installer Readme file for compatible versions of SQL Server if you are installing this yourself.
- Turn off Windows User Account Control (UAC) prior to installation. This is a Windows security feature that may cause problems during installation.
- Log into Windows as an Administrator. You will need admin rights during installation for all the files and settings to install correctly.
Installing InTouch 2014R2
- From the System Platform installation DVD or download, run the setup application.
- Install any prerequisites that are needed by the installer. These prerequistes are common to all of the System Platform products. Once you select the individual products you want to install, there may be additional prerequisites to install at a later point.
- Select the type of installation.
- Product Based Installation: Allows the selection of individual products to be installed. This is useful if you know exactly what you want to have on the system.
- Role Based Installation: Allows the installer to automatically install software based on the intended purpose of this PC. For example, if this was an operator station, development tools would not be installed.
- Runtime Client: Install only the necessary components required to run a visualization client, Historian client, and ArchestrA object server run-time components.
- Development Workstation: Install the components required for an engineering development workstation with only the required components to allow the node to connect to an existing development server. InTouch and Wonderware System Platform applications can be developed and tested.
- System Platform Development Server: Install the components required to host the development server, and develop and test InTouch and Wonderware System Platform applications.
- Historian Server Node: Install the necessary components to store historical data in an ArchestrA environment.
- Historian Client Node: Install the components required to connect to an existing Historian Server and analyze the data.
- Information Portal: Install the necessary components for aggregating and presenting plant production and performance data on the internet or company intranet with the capability to access live plant process data, integrated data trending and analysis, production and performance reporting, and integration to existing IT infrastructure and web portals.
- All-in-One Node: All products are installed on a single node.
- Custom: Allows you to customize the components that are installed.
- InTouch Access Anywhere Secure Gateway Node: Install the components to access Wonderware InTouch applications hosted on Terminal Servers by using HTML5 compatible web browsers. You must install this component on a computer with no other System Platform components installed.
- Read through and agree to the End User License Agreement.
- IF this is the first Wonderware product you are installing, it will prompt you to enter in a username and password for an administrative Windows account. This can be an account which already exists, or you can click the Create Local Account option to create one. This account should be the same account used on all Wonderware computers. This account gets used by the Wonderware software for two reasons:
1) When communicating between computers, this account allows access to other pc’s for sharing files and data. By using the same account on all computers, this allows the software to get past Windows’ Security.
2) The software will run under this user account, which will allow it to have administrative access. Without this access, the software would not be able to use all of the PC’s resources, such as accessing the file system.
Note: If you are unsure of what account to use, enter one temporarily. This account can be changed later from Start > Programs > Common > Change Network Account.
Install prerequisite software required for installing InTouch.
Review and confirm the software you would like to install. If everything looks correct, proceed with the installation.